Dulaney’s Districts: Arlington

Dulaney’s Districts

Putting neighborhoods on the National Register is an exhaustive, dedicated process. In this special series, the keeper of the Memphis Heritage Historic Properties Catalogue gives us snapshots of some wonderful but lesser-known historic neighborhoods.


Arlington Historic District

By John Dulaney

At least 20 National Register properties are located in Shelby County outside the City of Memphis. These include town centers, residences, and other sites in Arlington, Barretville, Bartlett, Collierville, Cordova, Eads, Germantown and Rosemark. A good example is the Town of Arlington, which was added to the National Register in 1982.

As stated in Memphis Heritage’s Historic Properties Catalogue: “Arlington still clearly resembles a small early twentieth century rural community, with its collection of relatively unchanged commercial and residential buildings dating from more than 100 years ago. The town’s future was ensured by the establishment there of a railroad depot, cotton gin, and businesses catering to the needs of local farmers. Annexation by, and growth of, the City of Memphis have altered many of its surrounding communities, but Arlington has not lost its historical character.”

Commenting on some specific building styles featured in the Arlington Historic District, after pointing out that western Tennessee “was in general not as economically prosperous as other sections,” its nomination notes that “the rural architecture of West Tennessee . . . shows the strong influence of the Queen Anne, Craftsman, and Bungalow styles. . . . The commercial buildings within the district are especially fine examples of turn-of-the-century vernacular frame architecture, including two stores, a bank, and a hotel.”

Above Left: Arlington was originally called Haysville, named for General Samuel Jackson Hays who owned the land surrounding Arlington’s spot along the Memphis and Ohio Railroad. The Plan of Haysville was submitted with the district’s National Register nomination. Above Right: A contributing commercial vernacular structure housing the S. Y. Wilson & Co., built in 1900 and moved in 1950. This photo was submitted with the 1982 nomination and the building still stands at 12022 Walker Street.

Read more about Memphis’ National Register properties and all of Dulaney’s Districts featured throughout this issue of StoryBoard Memphis.


This article and all of Dulaney’s Districts originally appeared in print Issue X, the August 2019 Neighborhood Issue, front page and pages 12, 23-25.

Sharing is caring!

About John Dulaney 10 Articles
University of Tennessee Health Science Center Department of Medicine retiree and expert researcher at the Memphis and Shelby County Room of the Memphis Public Libraries, John Dulaney has compiled, written, and edited entries for Memphis Heritage's Historic Properties Catalogue since 2016.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.